Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do you remember when we were kids and time seemed like it was a comity that we were entitled too?
We had very few worries, bills, plenty of friends around most of the time and no one uttered the words "Lets Go Green"!

My family ventured into Crittenden County by way of automobile from nearby Union County in 1965. My dad wanted to move away from Sturgis, a little populated town in the southern part of Union County. Why did we move? I still don't know except that dad wanted too. So we did! We the children of the West clan, didn't ask too many questions in those days. Most of the time, we just went were our parents went or were our feet would take us. Most of the days(as well as the nights), were spent right at home.

Sometimes when things get to complicated and life has a way of "knocking us down", I reminisce of the days of old when I was a child. I can almost feel being there now, sitting on an old worn-out couch and being so mad a grandpa! He had a stroke and had to move in with us. He was my mothers dad and for some reason, we just didn't seem to connect to one another. One of the reasons was that we had a black and white T.V. that had reception to three channels when we were lucky. I would be watching "Batman" or the "Time Tunnel" and he would have to watch President Johnson! The Vietnam war was going strong then and nightly address's to the nation were every night. Well, that's the way it felt to me anyway. I couldn't stand watching that old man with big ears! That was a bad war in times that I consider "good". My next door neighbor (the only house next to ours) son had been killed in that war. I vividly remember the count of dead soldiers each night on the news and I didn't like it at all. Yet, grandpa wanted to hear the President and what he had to say. The best thing about that memory is that the T.V. was worn out too! After a few minutes turned on, the picture tube would get hot and simply go out and I loved it. Grandpa finally had to move to what we called in those days, 'A Rest Home".

To me, things were better then and worries were seldomed mentioned. We were satisfied with each other in those days.

In summer, the only cooling we had was a box window fan with a removable window screen. I can say that I stayed pretty comfrontable though. In winter we had a coal furnace in the basement and one grate in the living room, yet I really don't remember being cold in my bed with five quilts. Dinner was each night at the table with all the family. That is, if you wanted to eat! the only McDonald's I knew of was in some old song. No Burger King or Dairy Queen yet I ate some of the very best meals a boy could have.

Why have we strayed away from those kinds of memories? Was it because we were truly "Green" then? I hear of "Cap and Trade" or "Fuel Efficient" now and I think about the days when I was a young boy living in the country were most everything was already considered "Green".

Maybe the answer to the ice caps melting and global warming is to just go back forty years or more and live like we did then. That is my definition of "Green", and it wasn't that bad either.
That's, "Mostly, My Opinion".

No comments:

Post a Comment